Alpha Sigma Lambda Recognition

An Honors Reception to recognize University College achievers will take place March 10 in the Panasci Lounge at Schine Student Center. Part of this inspiring annual event will be the induction of new members into Alpha Sigma Lambda (ASL), the country’s oldest and largest chapter-based honor society for nontraditional students. ASL was founded in 1945 and boasts more than 300 chapters. SU’s Beta Delta Chapter was established in 1977.

Membership is on an invitation-only basis for students who are matriculated in a degree program and represent the top 20 percent of their class.  They must have a minimum GPA of 3.2 and have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours with at least 12 credits earned in liberal studies.

Erik Newcome, an iSchool student in Information Management and Technology who expects to graduate in May, was inducted in 2015. “I have an extremely high standard for my academic achievements and it was very rewarding to be recognized for the sacrifices I have made to support those achievements,” he says. The Navy veteran works full time for the Department of Homeland Security and has a wife and two young children. “ASL membership reminds me that hard work WILL get you places if you are willing to put in the effort,” he asserts.

Annette Saule, who graduated from SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts in 2016, was inducted in 2014. “It was an accomplishment I would never have dreamed of achieving at the beginning of my journey at SU,” she says. Sheera Buckley, currently a UC student in Anthropology with a goal of graduating in 2020, says “It was an unexpected surprise” to be inducted into ASL in 2015. “Maintaining my membership is a great carrot to keep me motivated to do well!”

Learn more at professionalstudies.syracuse.edu/alpha-sigma-lambda