Alpha Sigma Lambda is the nation’s largest and oldest chapter-based honor society for nontraditional students. The Society was founded in 1945-46 and today has more than 300 institutional chapters. The Syracuse University chapter is the Beta Delta Chapter and was established in 1977.
Alpha Sigma Lambda’s aim is to recognize the special achievements of adults who accomplish academic excellence while facing competing interests of home and work. The Society is dedicated to the advancement of scholarship and recognizes high scholastic achievement in an adult student’s career. By so doing, this Society encourages many students to continue toward and to earn associate and bachelor’s degrees.
Who is Eligible?
Part-time, undergraduate students at Syracuse University who:
- completed 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) of graded course work at Syracuse University (does not include transfer credit)
- achieved a grade point average of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale on all work taken at Syracuse University
- are currently enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program at Syracuse University
- have financial need to complete the degree
NOTE: Students do NOT have to be members of the Alpha Sigma Lambda chapter at Syracuse University to apply.
- Syracuse University Deadline to apply: April 1, 2018
- Eligible students will be invited to apply in late January/early February.
- Submission instructions will be provided to eligible students.
Number of awards given nationwide: Twelve (12) $3,500 scholarships
Application package information:
- Application Instructions
- Application form
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member at Syracuse University on University letterhead
- Current Official Transcript – contained within an envelope with an unbroken university seal
- Personal Statement
Applications evaluation criteria:
- Personal statement
- Faculty recommendation
- Financial need