Military Tuition Assistance (TA)
When you enroll in a Syracuse University online undergraduate degree program your military tuition assistance (TA) covers 100 percent of tuition. Syracuse University will honor the Department of Defense (DoD) TA rate for eligible military at the rate of $250 per credit hour, up to 24-semester hours – $6,000 per fiscal year. This applies to eligible Active Duty, National Guard members, and US Reserve Component Military pursuing part-time online undergraduate degrees.
*Note: Eligible military-connected students must obtain TA approval from your commander in order to receive the adjusted SU tuition rate that matches the Military Tuition Assistance rate. Eligible military-connected students who do NOT have TA approval will be subject to the posted per credit rate of part-time students.
Tuition Assistance is NOT a loan. It is a special incentive for current military which you have earned for service to your country.
Dedicated Military Admissions representatives are available to guide you through the admissions process.
Veteran & military admissions virtual information sessions are available the first Monday of every month. Sign up now.
GI Bill® & Yellow Ribbon
Syracuse University participates in all veterans’ education programs to include GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon program. Student veterans utilizing VA educational benefits are encouraged to contact the Office of Veterans Success (OVS) for assistance navigating the GI Bill® process as well as seek answers to any benefits or financial aid questions.
How to apply for Tuition Assistance
Each military service branch and component has their own criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility, military service obligation, application process and restrictions. It is recommended you speak with your chain of command and a Syracuse University representative for further guidance to request your TA benefits.
For more information, review your military service website for details on your eligibility and the process for requesting tuition assistance.
- Air Force, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard
- Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard
- Coast Guard
- Marine Corps, Marine Corps Reserve
- Navy, Navy Reserve
Steps to apply for Tuition Assistance
- Speak with your education officer, career counselor, or benefits incentive specialists to ensure you are eligible for Tuition Assistance.
- Gain approval from your commander to attend classes at Syracuse University prior to enrollment. (Note: Commanders approve TA!)
- See your base Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling for classes at Syracuse University.
- Follow the military service branch and component specific instructions how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch and Syracuse University academic calendar to ensure your request in processed in a timely manner.
- Submit your approved TA request to the Syracuse University Bursar’s Office for processing (email to email@example.com, PDF format).
- The Bursar’s Office will process your approved TA request, and posts the TA credit to your student account. Please ensure you review your MySlice student account (Bursars and Financial Aid) to ensure your TA has posted online.
General Information about Military Tuition Assistance
- TA is exclusive to currently serving members of the Armed Forces. If your ETS date falls during the academic semester you will not get TA for that semester.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.
- TA is limited on the total number hours for undergraduate degrees (lifetime limit) depending on your branch/component. It also cannot be used for a lateral degree (you cannot use TA to earn a 2nd bachelor’s degree)
- TA can be reimbursed for up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4500 per fiscal year.
- TA may NOT cover all course fees.
- TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill®, but with some restrictions; contact an advisor or incentive specialists for guidance.
- TA requests should be completed prior to the start of the semester. Each branch/component has its own deadline.
- TA is a tuition reimbursement program; you will not receive an up-front payment. Payments are made directly to the university and may come late in the semester.
- Please note TA is not a guaranteed benefit, and funding is limited. TA is paid on a first come first serve basis. Students must apply within their branch of service prior to the start of the school term.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
|Military Admissions & Recruitment||Phone: 315.443.9378
Part-time Admissions and Recruitment
|Office of Online Student Success||Phone: 315-443-3256
OSS Directory Listing
|Financial Aid||Phone: 315.443.3261
Part-time Student Financial Aid Website
|Academic Advising||Phone: 315.443.3261
Part-time Student Academic Advising Website
|The Center for Disability Resources||Phone: Voice: 315.443.4498
Office of Disability Services Website
|Office of Veterans Success||Phone: 315.443.0358
Office of Veterans Success Website
|Student Administrative Services||Phone: 315.443.3261
Part-time Student Academic Advising Website
|Veteran Career Services||Phone: 315.443.7183
Veteran Career Services