Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What are the admissions requirements?
  2. Is financial aid available to part-time students?
  3. What scholarships are available?
  4. How many credits will transfer?
  5. How many credits can I take as a part-time student?
  6. How do I schedule an appointment with an academic advisor?
  7. What programs may be completed entirely in the evenings?
  8. Can I take classes during the day?
  9. What associate degrees are offered at SU?
  10. What does matriculated/non-matriculated mean?
  11. Does SU accept CLEP / AP tests for credit?
  12. What is HEOP?
  13. Can I transfer into the HEOP program?
  14. Do University College students receive a SU diploma?

What are the admissions requirements?

Admission to SU degree programs is based upon demonstration of previous academic success or current academic and professional achievement. Qualified students may apply anytime during the year. A consultationwith a University College academic advisor is required of all candidates for admission to part-time study. A student may not simultaneously apply to University College and any other undergraduate division of Syracuse University. The general criteria for admission includes:

  • Graduation from high school or successful completion of the GED examination. If the applicant has taken college level work, then the student’s performance will be reviewed to ensure that he/she is prepared for study in a degree program.
  • An applicant’s volunteer work and or employment history are reviewed to understand not merely the relationship to the student’s educational and career goals, but also how they illustrate the individual’s organizational and leadership skills.
  • A personal essay by the applicant is used to demonstrate writing ability as well as to provide information about goals, interests, and values.
  • The personal consultation, by far the most important step in the process, provides the opportunity to personalize the application and determine eligibility for admission.

If an applicant cannot demonstrate academic success, that person will be required to complete a minimum of courses as a nonmatriculated student. Those courses will be determined based on the program to which the student is seeking admission. Upon successful completion of these courses, the students will be reviewed for admission to his/her intended program of study.

Is financial aid available to part-time students?

Yes. Financial aid resources include grants, scholarships, loans, and employment opportunities, which are designed to help students meet college costs. To qualify for most types of SU financial aid through University College, you must be a part-time student, matriculated (admitted to a degree program) through University College, demonstrate financial need (for most aid programs), and enroll for 1-11 credits during the fall, spring and/or summer (optional) semester. Students may qualify for loans, the UC Achiever Scholarship, and the UC Incentive Grant without demonstrating financial need. Students who borrow federal student loans must enroll at least half-time (6 credit hours) to borrow and to keep prior student loans in deferment status. See eligibility criteria under Applying / Renewing University College Financial Aid. Contact the University College Financial Aid Office to discuss your options.

What scholarships are available?

If you maintain the required GPA, you can continue to renew your Achiever Scholarship for 90 units, 6 years, or until you earn your bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first. Please visit the Scholarships & Grants page to view all available opportunities.

How many credits will transfer?

A maximum of 90 credits of transfer credit or a combination of transfer credit and any other credit (e.g., AP exams, experiential learning) may be accepted (to include a maximum of 66 credits from a combination of credit from a two-year college and any other credit.) At no time may the total credit hours transferred to Syracuse University from college courses and testing programs exceed 90 semester hours. Syracuse University grants transfer credit based on content of courses previously completed, their applicability to the intended program of study, and the quality of the student’s performance.

How many credits can I take as a part-time student?

A maximum of 11 credits per semester.

How do I schedule an appointment with an academic advisor?

Please visit the Student Academic Services office for contact information.

What programs may be completed entirely in the evenings?

  • A.A. in Liberal Arts
  • B.P.S. in Creative Leadership
  • B.P.S. in Knowledge Management
  • B.A. in Liberal Studies
  • B.A. in Psychology
  • B.S. in Child & Family Studies
  • B.S. in Communication and Rhetorical Studies
  • B.S. in Information Management and Technology
  • B.S. in Management
  • B.S. in Social Work

Can I take classes during the day?

Yes, you may register – on a space available basis – for any course within the University, if you meet the requirements for that particular course.

What associate degrees are offered at SU?

A.A. in Liberal Arts

What does matriculated/non-matriculated mean?

A matriculated student is one who has applied for and been formally admitted to a degree-granting program at either the undergraduate or graduate level. A student must be matriculated in order to receive a degree from Syracuse University. A non-matriculated student is one who takes courses and has not been officially admitted into a degree program.

Does SU accept CLEP / AP tests for credit?

The student’s home college or school will evaluate and apply accepted credit to the degree program for AP and CLEP examinations. Schools and colleges will be guided by the recommendations of minimum acceptable score, awardable credit, and SU course equivalency made by the academic unit with principal responsibility for the examination subject. For more information about transferring credits, please visit the Transfer Student page.

What is HEOP?

The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) at University College is a special admission program (funded by New York State Education Department and SU) for individuals whose financial and educational backgrounds would prohibit them from regular admission to Syracuse University.

Can I transfer into the HEOP program?

Yes, students who have begun their college career though a special program such as SEEK, College Recovery, or EOP and who meet SU admissions criteria may transfer into HEOP.

Do University College students receive a SU diploma?

Yes, upon completion of your program’s requirements you will receive a Syracuse University diploma.