Computer programmers are highly sought after by diverse employers in fields like defense contracting, finance, technology, and health care, to name only a few. In this program, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of how and why computer systems work and how to design solutions that encompass functionality and usability. You will also learn how to manage projects, understand system limitations, and write and test the code that will run software applications and programs.
Syracuse University’s 120-credit Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) degree in Computer Programming is a fully online program with weekly interactive live sessions that you can complete from anywhere in the world.
Why Computer Programming?
- Computer programming is critical to the infrastructure and growth of business in any industry.
- Diverse career paths are available to computer programmers in jobs like software development, application engineer, solutions architect and web development.
- There are over 213,000 computer programming jobs in the United States, with a median pay of $86,550 per year, according to U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data.
- Design a system, component or process to meet desired outcomes within realistic constraints.
- Demonstrate ability to successfully function on multi-disciplinary team.
- Exhibit the ability to identify, formulate and solve problems.
- Explain and illustrate professional and ethical responsibility.
Learn these in-demand skills:
- Programming fundamentals
- Programming in various programming languages
- Critical thinking
- Problem synthesis and solving
- Program design
- Testing and evaluation
Sample courses in the Computer Programming curriculum:
- SCP 220 – Basic Principals of Computer Programming
- SCP 285 – Object Orientated Programming
- SCP 305 – Database Management
- SCP 310 – Programming Languages: Comparative Study
- SCP 405 – Programming in C++ – Part I
- SCP 420 – Web Application and Design
- SCP 483 – C# (C Sharp) and Windows Programming