The business of healthcare is shifting and presently focusing on the value and the quality of care while reducing costs to stakeholders. The Bachelor of Professional Studies (B.P.S.) degree in Healthcare Administration provides foundational knowledge of the healthcare field combined with business, finance, electronic records management, human resources, project management, negotiation, and conflict management skills. This diverse course blending, balanced with health and management cores, will prepare you for career placement or advancement in the healthcare field.
Syracuse University’s 120-credit Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) degree in Healthcare Administration is a fully online program with weekly interactive live sessions that you can complete from anywhere in the world.
Why Healthcare Administration?
- The median annual wage for medical and health services managers was $100,980 in May 2019.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects employment in healthcare occupations to grow 15% from 2019 to 2029.
- The BLS also projects employment of medical and health services managers to grow 32% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Program learning outcomes:
- Apply leadership and management concepts and theory to effectively devise and facilitate sustainable organizational processes, operations, and strategies.
- Critically analyze concepts and theory related to communicable disease, its impact globally and locally, and to effectively manage and prevent further transmission.
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge and competence in applying financial management models to health care organizations.
- Apply health care law, ethics, and the protection of electronic records to policy and procedure development.
- Articulate strategies for developing wellness initiatives at the organizational, personal, and client level.
Learn these in-demand skills:
- Change Management
- Financial Management
- Human Resources Management
- Project Management
- Critical Thinking
- Strategic Planning
- Decision Making
Industries with the highest levels of employment in Healthcare Administration:
- General medical and surgical hospitals
- Physician offices
- Outpatient care centers
- Nursing care facilities
- Home health care facilities
Sample courses in the Healthcare Administration curriculum:
- HCA 210 – The Business of Healthcare
- HCA 310 – Electronic Healthcare Systems
- HCA 320 – Crisis (Emergency) Management
- HCA 370 – Human Resource Management
- HCA 450 – The Business of Global Health and Epidemiology
- PHP 312 – Introduction to Healthcare Management
- PHP 313 – Issues and Challenges: U.S. Healthcare Delivery
- PHP 413 – Introduction to Healthcare Quality Improvement