The University College Commencement Celebration for part-time students took place on Thursday, May 10, at Hendricks Chapel, followed by a reception on the Quad.
Benjamin Vasquez (BPS in Creative Leadership and 2018 recipient of the Chancellor’s Award for Public Engagement and Scholarship) was the student speaker. Patricia McBride (BPS in Creative Leadership) was UC’s class marshal. Candace Campbell Jackson, senior vice president and chief of staff for Chancellor Kent Syverud, gave the keynote address.
Seven UC students were named Alumni Scholars. They earned a GPA of 3.63 and higher: Karlea Abair, Philip Adams, Lark Allen, Andree Finkelstein, Amanda Riccardo, Benjamin Vasquez, and Kenneth Wilcox.
Awards also recognized students’ outstanding achievement in other schools/colleges:
- Hortence Cochrane Award: Karlea Abair, a part-time social work student in the Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics; GPA of 3.706.
- Nancy C. Gelling Award: (graduate with the highest overall grade point average for a first bachelor’s degree) Andree Finkelstein, B.A. in Geography from the College of Arts and Sciences; GPA of 3.806.
- Sylvia Wyckoff Award (outstanding achievement in the College of Visual and Performing Arts): Philip Adams, who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts, with a GPA of 3.778.
Faculty, staff, and departments across campus who demonstrate a commitment to providing quality education to UC students were also recognized:
- Deans Excellence Award: (acknowledges outstanding contributions of a UC staff member who has been instrumental to the success of UC); Jennie McLaughlin, UC director of Information Systems.
- Staff Service Award: Office of Veterans and Military Affairs. Colonel Ron Novack (RET.), executive director, accepted on behalf of his department.
- Excellence in Teaching Award: Faith Plvan.
- Excellence for Online Teaching Award: Susan Conklin.