Financial Literacy

I Otto Know This Financial Literacy Information Syracuse University’s “I OTTO Know This!” is a financial literacy program designed to provide financial management tools to both undergraduate and graduate students throughout the course of their education.



The New York State Get on Your Feet Loan Forgiveness Program provides up to 24 months of federal student loan debt relief to recent New York State college graduates who are participating in a federal income-driven repayment plan whose payments are generally capped at 10 percent of their discretionary income and was established for the purpose of alleviation the burden of federal student loan debt for NYS college graduates. For more information visit the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation website.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Tuition and Financial Aid topics can lead to questions that need to be answered before you proceed to your next step. Skim our list of Frequently Asked Questions if you’re unsure about something, or contact the Financial Aid Office with your specific questions.

All students need to complete their FAFSA every year. First time applicants and stopped-out students need to complete our financial aid application.

The priority deadline is May 1 for academic year awarding.

University College funds are limited; however, late applications are reviewed. If you miss the priority deadline, you still should apply to be considered for any available funds and federal aid.

In order to confirm your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign the FAFSA, you will need an FSA ID. If you do not already have one, please follow the instructions here: How to Create an FSA ID .

Award Letters will be sent by mail weekly starting in June.

Institutional (merit scholarship and need-based grants), State (Aid-for-part-time Study) and Federal aid (Federal Grants, FWS, and Loans) are available for qualified part-time undergrad students.

Graduate students are eligible for federal loans through the Financial Aid Office.

Need based and non-need based scholarships are available.

New aid applicants may apply for federal student loans by completing item #1 on the Financial Aid Application. The first time you apply for federal loans at Syracuse University, you are required to complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before the loan is processed. This can be done online at, using your FSA ID. These will appear as items in “initiated” status in your “TO DO” list. Continuous-returning students will be awarded loans consistent with prior borrowing history. Increases may be requested using the continuous-returning online application.

Send an e-mail to indicating the dollar amount you are requesting to increase.

Use the online form on the University’s financial aid web page to decrease or cancel your loan. The online form is in the “Quick Links” section on the right side of the page.

Typically, loans disburse the week before classes start.

If financial aid creates a credit balance after University charges are paid, students may request their credit balance to be refunded using the refund request link in MySlice. Refunds are not automatic and are not processed prior to the official term start date.

No, the financial aid application process should be concurrent with the admissions process.

You need to let our office know details of changes, as this may affect your financial aid eligibility. Include supporting documents where possible.

Only loans need to be repaid. Grants and scholarship do not. Work-Study funds are earned as wages.

It is possible there will be changes, depending on several factors such as your enrollment load, availability of funds, and changes in financial aid regulations.

Yes, the summer term is separate from the fall/spring terms. You need to submit a separate summer financial aid application, which is available on our web page beginning in late January/early Feburary.

Yes, you can apply for financial aid to study abroad.

Merit scholarships are part of the admissions process. Financial Aid is notified by the admissions committee of selected candidates.

The interest on the Subsidized loan will be covered by the government while the student is in school at least half-time. The student is responsible for the interest for the Unsubsidized loan. The interest can be paid monthly or capitalized (added to the principle).

You may search for a Federal Work-Study job online. Once you are hired, you will be able to work and earn up to the amount of the FWS award.

It will not be credited to your account. You will receive paychecks from the department where you work.

Yes, you can find a non-federal work-study job.

If you know that you won’t be using the award, you need to contact us so we can cancel it and award it to another student.